Friday, February 15, 2008

Damnit

It turns out there was an opening into the pulp chamber. I already got Kaya scheduled for her root canal in Illinois the Tuesday of Spring Break. I know this would seem ridiculous to most people, but I'm taking an online Continuing Education course from Dr. Manfra (she's at the U of Illinois) so it will be fantastic to meet her and see her work, and I'm spending so much on school already what's another couple thousand in loans. Plus, Kaya will be able to show off her grillz rather than a giant hole. The biggest problem is that it takes not two, as I originally thought, but three visits. The first during Spring Break will be the root canal. Three months later they do the impression, and then any time after a week after that the crown can go on. Those next two visits will be during the summer, at least.

I'm kind of scared to tell my family. In fact, I may not. They would see this as beyond ridiculous and a waste of money. They aren't what I would call role model pet owners. They feed them and take decent care of them, but if a medical or surgical problem like this would come up they would take the cheapest route (in this case, tooth removal) because it's just a pet. But Kaya is pretty much my baby, so I'm willing to spend the money. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you grabbed some pet insurance now if it'd be covered - probably not, since it'd likely be considered a pre-existing condition...

Carrie said...

Yeah, that probably wouldn't work. Oh well, that's what loan money's for I guess...

Oh, and hello! It's been a while. :)

Anna said...

So when I read this, I admit, my first thought was, "Jesus, Carrie, it's only a dog!" but then I thought about it and decided it's probably worth it. A guy in my lab just had a root canal (and apparently needs another one, unfortunately for his bank account) and so we had discussed the pluses and minuses of just getting the tooth pulled. The tooth is a molar so it would definitely hinder his ability to chew on that side and I guess if they did pull it, it could cause his other teeth to move to fill the space! His tooth was on the bottom, and did you know that having a tooth missing on the bottom can cause the tooth above it to slowly move down due to gravity! I know that's not the case with Kaya, but still! I had no idea! What I'm trying to say is that I understand why you're doing it and it seems necessary to maintain Kaya's current quality of life.

Oh, and if pet insurance people are as big of bastards as people insurance are, then this would definitely be considered a pre-existing condition. Although, if pet insurance isn't that ridiculously expensive, perhaps you should consider getting it in case of any future incidences.

Wow, did I type enough?!