Sunday, January 20, 2008

Danny Boy and Manuel

Kyle and I just got back from Des Moines where we watched an afternoon concert with Juj's Nordic choir and then ate dinner with Mom and Dad. It was such a fabulous concert I don't even know where to begin. I was enthralled from the first burgeoning chord that seemed to float upon the air. It was the first time I've been in a church since...Anna's wedding, so that was weird. I didn't burst into flames, though, so if there is a god he or she isn't as vengeful as some evangelicals would like to believe. The church had beautiful acoustics.

Juj had the solo in Copland's "In the Beginning", which chronicled the seven days of creation. First of all, I had no idea Copland had even done choral music, and secondly, it was awesome! All of his instrumental stuff has the same folksy sound, and this was great. Each day of creation had a different feel, and it was little details like when they were singing about the formation of the seas and the movement of the music felt like waves that really clinched my awe of the piece. Juj was nervous for the solo, and I knew why afterwards - it was insanely hard. She of course did an amazing job with note jumps that came out of nowhere and sounded wonderful. I didn't cry like I usually do, though, because the song was pretty upbeat and I was so nervous for her to get through it!

What did make me cry, though (and I mean tears streaming down the face) was when the choir sang Danny Boy. I never knew the lyrics before today, and it was absolutely haunting:

Oh Danny Boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountainside.
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying.
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow,
For I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow.
Oh Danny Boy, oh Danny Boy, I love you so.

But if you come, and all the flower's are dying
And if I'm dead, as dead I might well be.
Ye'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an “Ave” there for me.
And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me,
And o'er my grave shall warmer, sweeter be,
And if you bend and tell me that you love me,
Then I shall sleep in peace until you come to me.

I'm such a pathetic softie. I just keep telling myself it's what will make me a good vet.

For dinner we ate at Macaroni Grill and had Manuel, a beautiful Puerto Rican waiter. He was pretty fun, and I wasn't paying attention when he put cheese on my meal because I was talking to dad, so he just kept piling the cheese on until dad finally said I might want to say stop, and he and Kyle talked fried plantains.

I also got a surprise late Christmas present--a GPS navigator!! It is the coolest toy ever, and super-easy to use. I will never be lost again!

Kyle and I also stopped at the double decker Barnes & Noble before heading home.

All in all, it was a totally sweet day, and it is sweeter since I don't have class tomorrow. Ciao!

No comments: