Sunday, May 27, 2007

Blue-green lightning racing stripes

J came home from work around midnight, and she said when she was getting close to home on the interstate a car started tailing her really close, took the same exit she did, and was following her into the neighborhood. She was smart and rather than turning at our street she went around the long way, and they turned up our normal street. When she came around the long way and was coming down the street, that same car was sitting like four houses up from ours, and had turned around so it was also facing down the street. It was a white truck with a topper and blue-green lightning racing stripes but unfortunately in the heat of the moment she didn't think to look for plates.

So she drove past the truck, and went down to our house, pulled in the driveway and walked to the front door. As she was closing the door and locking it the truck drove by. She was freaked out and came in and talked to us (that's another story--for the first time ever, KP and I are sharing a room at my parents' house...a room with twin beds! :P). I said she should talk to our parents and they didn't seem concerned (but they were also sleeping), and she wanted to call the police. After we heard a truck drive by and KP peeked out the window and saw it was white, I agreed. She called to just file a report, and they ended up sending not one, but two squad cars over!

So mom and dad were still sleeping, and we had three cops in the entryway as J told them what happened. The guy that had arrived first listened to the story and told her since she didn't get plates there was nothing really they could do, so they left. And I started laughing hysterically. Ok, so there wasn't really anything funny. I must have been laughing from nerves.

Anyway, thinking back on it I'm actually kind of ticked at the officer's response. He saw J--a cute young woman--and said it was probably some guy who saw her driving and thought she was cute and wanted to meet her. If I had been thinking I would have said "In the middle of the night?!" but I was busy standing there quietly doing nothing. So she's going to be more observant driving, and KP had the good idea of her casually checking out the cars in the parking lot when she goes to work, because if she sees the same one there she'd be able to get the plates.

I know the police know what they're doing and this is probably an "isolated incident" but part of me wonders. Humans have all but lost the survival instincts we possessed when we first dotted the planet. But I think gut feelings are probably remnants of that. If your gut is telling you something's off, it probably is, and J felt like something was off. I also worry about my sister. As long as she pays a little closer attention to cars for a while I'll be able to breathe easier and I hope she will also.

No comments: