Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hello, how are you?

It's been a while. It's just...we both want different things. You want me to waste my life writing in you, telling you about my day, and I want to experience the world! You were holding me back, but I've missed you. I'll try to visit more often.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Palin VP choice works out for the GOP. I've heard two main theories. The first is that she's a scary smart pick because she's a woman but has all those conservative values (lifetime NRA member, built an oil pipeline her first year as governor in Alaska, pro-life, etc). The second is that she's going to bomb because undecided voters or Clinton supporters won't vote for her simply because she's a woman and she has very little experience and no foreign relations experience--not exactly the person you want stepping in if (when) McCain kicks the bucket. My first reaction was fear but I kind of get this second opinion. I hope things lean more that direction.

I'm keeping residents of New Orleans, St. Bernard Parish, and the other Parishes and regions of the southern US that may be affected by Gustav in my thoughts. It's hard to believe that just three years after Katrina, when New Orleans has finally begun resembling itself again, they may be starting from scratch. If the storm is as bad as predicted the levees will fail again. It could be really bad. This time, at least, they are prepared, and people are taking warnings to leave seriously. Let's hope it's not the worst-case scenario.

I survived my first week of school. We have Surgery every Monday and often have Monday exams as well, meaning I won't be having a lot of weekend fun this semester. I'll get over it. Our first terminal surgery is a week from tomorrow. I'm eager for the surgery but nervous about how I will deal with ending an animal's life. Looking at it logically I tell myself these animals would be killed anyway and this way they are at least serving a purpose, but I won't feel that way when pushing the plunger.

No comments: