Wednesday, April 30, 2008

NaNoWriMo

I read all the time and for years I've had story ideas percolating in my head. Some of them I've even started to get on (virtual) paper, but I've never finished anything. I'm always too busy, or too picky about editing when I've barely started. No more!

I've joined NaNoWriMo this year, and I'm going to prove to myself that I can finish a story. It's in November, and the point is to write 50,000 words in one month. You're supposed to let the word vomit flow and not worry about bad grammar, plot inconsistencies, or anything else. My only worry is that it takes place at a really bad time of year for me to be able to meet a goal. It may come down to writing a first draft or staying in vet school. That's why I will take part in JulNoWriMo this summer! It's the same concept, but it takes place in July. Since the only thing I'm going to be doing this summer is working at a clinic I should have plenty of time to let the creative juices flow. Even if what I end up writing is complete crap I think the journey will be worth it.

No comments: