Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's a sad day for cats in the news

First, the story of a kitten born with six legs. The family that owns it can't pay for the operation to remove the two spare legs and torso hanging from the belly of this poor thing. Luckily, with the help of some donations, a vet is going to operate and they think the kitten will live. I don't know what vet wouldn't want to help with this case. It's the right thing to do, but from a financial standpoint (which they're trying to teach us to think about here at school) it's free publicity for your clinic.

Second, a story that's much more sad. A three year old boy put the family cat into the microwave and turned it on. Of course they couldn't afford to pay for treatment, so the clinic they took it to will soon be putting him up for adoption. They had to amputate his tail and ears, and he had surface burns and I'm sure internal damage as well. The poor kitty is lucky to have survived. I hope that little boy didn't understand what he was doing, because the alternative is frightening. As with the previous case, this is great publicity for the clinic and frankly, I can't imagine being able to turn the poor thing away. I do wonder about the potential long-term effects (such as cancer) on the kitty.

I'm going to have to snuggle my babies when I get home from class today after reading these.

No comments: