Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I poked a dog in the eye!

We just had our ophthalmic exam lab, and it was really cool! The eye seems like this mysterious organ to me, and today, as the instructor for the day put it, "it's just an orifice slightly more complicated than the anus". We did a tear production test, a fluoroscein stain (it looks for corneal lesions), and flushed the lacrimal duct (which weirded me out at first, because while I logically know the eye is anesthetized by drops, it is gross that I'm poking around in there. The best part was that I was shown by a fourth year how to inject drugs into the conjunctiva. I think that squees me because I can't imagine someone doing it to me, but I got a little fluid pocket in there, and it was cool.

Our rat terrier was a little squirmy, and...really gross (bad skin, horrific mouth) but I felt bad for her just the same. All the dogs today were terminal surgery dogs. Most of them you could tell were taken from puppy mills, so at least here they serve an educational purpose before they are euthanized, but I am once again wondering how I will handle terminal surgery myself next year. I want to do it because it will give me a chance to do surgeries I otherwise couldn't do until I'm actually in practice, and I've expected that it will be extremely difficult. What I'm not sure of is whether it will actually have long-term effects on my psyche.

No comments: