Friday, February 29, 2008

In-Class Post

There's nothing like using my thousands of tuition dollars a year to play online in class rather than pay attention... In my defense, I would learn nothing by paying attention. It seems that they design vet school so that the fall semester is full of interesting classes that make you glad you're here, and the spring classes make you desperate to escape.

I added a live traffic feed to my blog last night and have discovered something very interesting! I honestly thought that two or three people read my blog because that's who comments. Apparently that is not the case. Hello Austin, Oakland, Menomonie, and Springfield!

I am starting to fret a bit about finding a summer job. I am waiting to find out about a position with Banfield (a corporate clinic) but chances are I won't be able to work in either Ankeny/Des Moines or Omaha (and live with my parents again) because you get to pick based on when you turned in your application, and not every clinic takes summer students. Along with about a gazillion other things on my plate for Spring Break is now the need to call clinics in Ankeny and Des Moines to find out if anybody wants to hire a second year vet student and pay me enough to survive for the summer. I haven't worked in a clinic since the summer of 2005, so I really need to use this summer to relearn and hone some of those basic skills before I start my fourth year rotations next summer (yikes!).

To get back to this class I'm sitting in right now (which should be done...but she's still talking), the instructor is--to put it kindly--a bit absent-minded. Case in point, we had an in-class quiz yesterday that she gave us too near the end of the hour to finish, and she allowed people to take it home! Granted, it was open-note, but how can she not be aware that there are students in our class with a slightly off-kilter moral compass who have no problem working together and making sure they have all the right answers? We always hear about how we need to follow the "honor code", but the number of people in our class that are willing to cheat is appalling. I certainly don't think we're worse than the average population of humans, but anybody who thinks we have the moral high ground doesn't realize the cliff is crumbling.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

Hi Carrie! I'm Austin, TX (yes, the whole city). Thanks for keeping up an entertaining blog - it's great to have something interesting to read when I need a break from work. :) I'm glad to see that things are going well for you. :)

Carrie said...

Hey Patricia!! I think it goes without saying that you are the city you live in. Therefore I am apparently a rather small person but I think I'm pretty big-time, I can't drive in bad weather, and I'm cold all the time...

Do you have a blog? I keep up with your periodic Facebook updates but I'd love to do better. :)

Patricia said...

Sadly, I do not have a blog. I've kicked the idea around, but always decide against it on the basis of having nothing interesting to say. I'll let you know if I change my mind.