Friday, June 29, 2007

Mamas, don't let your kittens grow up to be q-tip eaters...

So with my summer job I'm always sweating to death by the time I get home early in the afternoon. I always let the cats out, shower, and then do data entry in the afternoon. Today, I dropped a q-tip after my shower and Sebastian pounced on it and started playing. I thought, "Well, I'll finish up in here and take it away from him." Not 30 seconds later I turned around and the q-tip was gone.

I searched every square inch of our floor and it was nowhere. So, I called our vet and they said try to make him throw it up with hydrogen peroxide. I thought it was highly unlikely that would work, given it would have to be perfectly angled into the esophagus to exit the stomach, but I tried 3 times and all he threw up was his breakfast. Bad. Called the clinic back again, and they said he needed radiographs, but they were too busy for him to get in today. Excuse me, but this is an emergency and you guys are too busy to squeeze him in?!

So I called our teaching hospital and took him him. They planned to do radiographs first, but plastic doesn't show up, so unless air was still in the tube they'd have to do endoscopy to find it if it was there and remove it. The estimate was about $600.

They called 15 minutes ago to tell me they couldn't find the q-tip...but they did find a dime! Luckily, it was sitting near the pylorus still in his stomach, so they think they can do endoscopy to remove both the dime and the q-tip (if it's in there), for probably the same price, and we can probably take him home today.

Apparently we need to be much more careful about what we leave lying around...who knows how much shit he's eaten and passed without us even knowing?

I'm just glad he's going to be ok...and now do to my data entry so I don't fall behind...

No comments: